The Sun-Herald & Premier’s Reading Challenge Book Review competition
Herald Education is pleased to announce a new competition, The Sun-Herald & PRC Book Review Competition where students are invited to write a review about their a book they've read from this year's Premier's Reading Challenge could have their book review published in The Sun-Herald to share with other students across the state!
Who can enter?
Students from K to year 9, who have participated in the Premier’s Reading Challenge, are invited to write a book review about one of the books they have read from the PRC booklist during 2012. Students are to analyse a literary or factual text and assess it appeal (English K-6, page 68)
What can students win?
- Two of the four Challenge Level winners will have their book review published in The Sun-Herald on Sunday, December 2.
- There will be two awards given for each Challenge Level, Highly Commended and Challenge Level Winner.
- Students receiving a Highly Commended award will receive a Certificate and $50 voucher for Dymocks.
- Each Challenge Level Winner will receive a certificate and a $100 voucher for Dymocks.
- A ‘Certificate of Participation’ will be available online after the winners have been announced.
What are the entry criteria?
Entries will be judged across the four Challenge Levels: Challenge Level K-2; Challenge Level 3-4; Challenge Level 5-6; and Challenge Level 7-9.
Schools are asked to select the 2 best entries from each Challenge Level (a total of 6 entries from a primary school and 2 entries from a high school) to be forwarded for the final judging process.
Entries must not exceed 300 words in length. Students will not be judged on the number of words, rather the quality of their writing in relation to English stage outcomes.
Typed and double-spaced entries are preferred.
English K-6: Learning to read – reading and viewing texts;
Learning about reading – context and text; language structures and features
Learning to write – producing texts; skills and strategies
Learning about writing – context and text; language structures and features
English Stage 4: Outcomes 5, 6 and 7
Premier's Reading Challenge: Read more here